The Egyptian Open on the Challenge Tour, which was due to be played in Cairo from October 19-22, will not take place this year due to recent changes to the country’s political situation.
With a new constitution currently in development and parliamentary and presidential elections due to take place later in the year, the Egyptian Golf Federation was reluctantly unable to commit to staging the tournament.
But Ayman Hussein, Chairman of the Egyptian Golf Federation, remained confident that the event would return to the Challenge Tour Schedule next year.
He said: “Because of the changes that will take place to the ministries which govern all activities, most notably the Sports Council and the Egyptian Tourism Authority, regrettably we are unable to make any mid to long-term commitments to any organisation at this stage.
“However, we are committed to working with the Challenge Tour in the future to develop the Egyptian Open. We are expecting to be able to make commitments again by the end of this year or beginning of next, and we remain hopeful that we can secure a date for the tournament on the Challenge Tour Schedule and extend the agreement we have with the Tour.”
Alain de Soultrait, Director of the Challenge Tour, said: “Whilst we are naturally disappointed not to play the Egyptian Open, as last year’s event was a huge success, we fully understand and support the decision made by the Egyptian Golf Federation, and we look forward to the successful return of the Egyptian Open to the Challenge Tour next year.”
|T2||DE VRIES, Floris||NED||18||-12|