· His second European Tour International Schedule victory in his 90th European Tour event.
· Moves into the top four in the Official World Golf Ranking.
· First Major Championship victory in his 11th Major Championship appearance.
· This victory beats his previous best Major Championship performances of tied third in the 2009 and 2010 US PGA Championship and 2010 Open Championship.
· This victory comes in his third appearance in the US Open Championship, beating his previous best of tied tenth in 2009.
· Aged 22 years and 46 days becomes the youngest European Tour Major Champion since The European Tour was formed. He beat the previous record of Seve Ballesteros, who was 22 years and 103 days at the 1979 Open Championship.
· Second consecutive Northern Irish victory in the US Open Championship, following Graeme McDowell in 2010.
· European Tour Members have now won the last five Major Championships. They are: Graeme McDowell (2010 US Open Championship), Louis Oosthuizen (2010 Open Championship), Martin Kaymer (2010 US PGA Championship), Charl Schwartzel (2011 Masters Tournament) and Rory McIlroy (2011 US Open Championship).
· Joins Harry Vardon (1900), Ted Ray (1920), Jim Barnes (1921), Tommy Armour (1927), Tony Jacklin (1970) and Graeme McDowell (2010) as Europeans to win the US Open Championship.
· Joins Fred Daly (1947 Open Championship) and Graeme McDowell (2010 US Open Championship) as players from Northern Ireland to win a Major Championship.
· Becomes the seventh wire-to-wire winner (no ties) in US Open history. He follows: Walter Hagen (1914), Jim Barnes (1921), Ben Hogan (1953), Tony Jacklin (1970) and Tiger Woods (2000 and 2002).
· Becomes the fifth player to win the US Open Championship with four sub-par rounds.
· Becomes the 27th foreign-born winner of the US Open Championship.
· Here are the US Open Championship record broken: Low first 36 holes of 131 and lowest first 36 holes in relation to par of 11 under. Low first 54 holes of 199 and lowest first 54 holes in relation to par of 14 under. Broke the 72 hole scoring record with 268 and low 72 hole in relation to par at 16 under. He matched the largest 36 hole lead of Tiger Woods of six shots in 2000.
· His eight stroke victory is the fourth largest in US Open Championship history and largest since Tiger Woods won by 15 in 2000.
· Of the eight Major Championship rounds played in 2011, he has now led in seven of them; first three rounds of the Masters Tournament and four of the US Open Championship.
· First European Tour International Schedule victory since the 2009 Omega Dubai Desert Classic.
· This victory beats his previous best 2011 performance of second in the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship.