DID YOU KNOW – WGC – CADILLAC CHAMPIONSHIP
• Lee Westwood will make World Golf Championship history when he becomes the first player to make 40 appearances in individual WGC events in the 2012 WGC - Cadillac Championship.
• Following on from his victory in the WGC – Accenture Match Play Championship, Hunter Mahan will attempt to join Tiger Woods as the only players to win consecutive WGC events.
• Other European Tour Members will be creating records at the WGC – Cadillac Championship. Sergio Garcia, Retief Goosen and Vijay Singh, will all be playing in the tournament for the 13th time. The other player to join the trio on that number will be Tiger Woods. (Goosen also holds the distinction of most starts in the WGC – Accenture Match Play Championship, again with 13).
• European Tour Members will be aiming to increase their recent success in WGC events, having won five of the last nine, dating back to the 2010 WGC – Accenture Match Play Championship. They are: Ian Poulter (2010 WGC – Accenture Match Play Championship), Ernie Els (2010 WGC – Cadillac Championship), Francesco Molinari (2010 WGC - HSBC Champions), Luke Donald (2011 WGC – Accenture Match Play Championship) and Martin Kaymer (2011 WGC – HSBC Champions).
• Although a European has yet to win the championship, four have finished second. They are: Miguel Angel Jiménez (1999), Lee Westwood (2000), Thomas Björn (2004) and Ian Poulter (2006).
• There will be 38 European Tour Members taking part in the second WGC event of the 2012 season. Of those 38, Rafael Cabrera-Bello, Nicolas Colsaerts, Branden Grace, Jbe’ Kruger, Alexander Noren and Robert Rock will be in the WGC – Cadillac Championship for the first time. For the two South Africans, Grace and Kruger this will mark their WGC debuts.
• In 2007 Tiger Woods created European Tour history by becoming the first player to win the same European Tour International Schedule event on six occasions. The winning years were: 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2007. He matched this feat later on in the 2007 season by winning the WGC – Bridgestone Invitational for a record-equalling sixth time also.
• His 2007 WGC –Cadillac Championship victory saw Tiger Woods create a further record by becoming the first player to win two different European Tour events for three consecutive years. The first tournament he won three years in succession was the WGC – Bridgestone Invitational between 1999-01.
|T1||CHOI, K J||KOR||-|