DID YOU KNOW – ALFRED DUNHILL CHAMPIONSHIP
• The championship has a history of producing debut winners. Since the first playing in 2000, eight have entered the winners circle for the first time on The European Tour. They are: Anthony Wall (2000), Adam Scott (2001), Justin Rose (2002), Mark Foster (2003), Marcel Siem (2004), Charl Schwartzel (2005), Alvaro Quiros (2007) and Garth Mulroy (Nov 2011).
• Garth Mulroy will be looking to follow Pablo Martin (2010-2011 (Dec 10) and become only the second player to make a successful defence of the title. Should he claim the trophy again he would become the 11th player to win the same event for their first two European Tour victories. The last person to achieve this feat was Mikael Lundberg (2005 and 2008 Russian Open Championship).
• The 2003 Championship witnessed, for only the second time in European Tour history a six-man play-off. Mark Foster was the player who prevailed, beating Anders Hansen, Trevor Immelman, Paul Lawrie, Doug McGuigan and Bradford Vaughan. The first time this occurred was the 1990 Vino Verde Atlantic Open.
• European Tour history was made in the 2007 tournament, when Alvaro Quiros became the first player to win a European Tour event in his first event as a full Member, having graduated from the 2006 European Tour Qualifying School.
• Louis Oosthuizen will be looking to win his sixth European Tour title and first at the Alfred Dunhill Championship. Of his ten professional victories, seven have been in his homeland. He has not been outside the top six in his last four European Tour appearances. He finished tied sixth in the BMW Masters, tied sixth in the WGC – HSBC Champions, second in the Barclays Singapore Open and fifth in the DP World Tour Championship, Dubai. From these 16 rounds he is a total of 62 under par.
• Charl Schwartzel will looking to collect his second Alfred Dunhill Championship crown, having first prevailed in 2005. His record in the event is outstanding. He has played in the tournament nine times, seven of these being at Leopard Creek, where he was the first winner in 2005. He has also been placed second on a further four occasions; in the 2006 season, 2007, 2010 and 2011 (Dec 10).
• The 2013 Alfred Dunhill Championship will be the 50th event co-sanctioned with The European Tour and the Sunshine Tour. The first was the 1995 Lexington South African PGA Championship.