DID YOU KNOW – ISPS HANDA WALES OPEN
• On his way to victory in 2006, Robert Karlsson created two European Tour records, firstly for the lowest opening 36 holes, with a score of 124, and followed that by creating the lowest opening 54 hole score of 189.
• Should Thongchai Jaidee make a successful defence of his ISPS Handa Wales Open title, it would be the second time during his European Tour career, following the 2004-2005 Malaysian Open, he would have won the same European Tour event in back-to-back years.
• Since The European Tour’s first season in 1972, Ian Woosnam (1983 British Masters and 1990 Epson Grand Prix of Europe) is the only Welshman to win a European Tour event on home soil.
• Even though a Welshman has yet to win their national open, they have a fine record in ISPS Handa Wales Open.. Here are the best performances year by year: 2000 – Ian Woosnam, tied third; 2001 – Jamie Donaldson and Mark Pilkington, tied fourth; 2002 – Bradley Dredge, tied ninth; 2003 – Phillip Price, tied seventh; 2004 – Stephen Dodd, tied ninth; 2005 – Ian Woosnam, tied fifth; 2006 – Bradley Dredge, tied seventh; 2007 – Bradley Dredge, tied second; 2008 – Jamie Donaldson, tied 15th, 2009 – Rhys Davies, tied 17th ; 2010 – Rhys Davies, second, 2011 – Jamie Donaldson, tied eighth and 2012 – Phillip Price tied 87th.
• Thongchai Jaidee is bidding to make history by becoming the first player to successfully defend the title. To date there have been 13 different winners since the event began in 2000.
• European Tour history was made in this tournament in 2007 for the most players tied for the lead after the first round of a European Tour event. Nine golfers all tied on 65 (-4), beating the old record of eight at the 1995 European Masters.
• Miguel Angel Jiménez, won the event in 2005 over the Roman Road Course. He was 41 when he claimed the title. Of his 19 European Tour titles, 12 have come since he turned the age of 40. This is a European Tour record.
• Other past winners in the field to win the title on different courses other than Jiménez are: Paul McGinley (2001 Wentwood Hills) and Simon Khan (2004 Roman Road).