DID YOU KNOW – AFRICA OPEN
• The Africa Open has witnessed a lot of low scoring in the four years the event has been part of The European Tour. Charl Schwartzel won in 2010 with a 20 under total and Oosthuizen with -16 in 2011 and 27 under in 2012. Darren Fichardt’s winning mark in 2013 was 16 under par last year.
• The 36 hole cut in the Africa Open in 2010 and 2012 both fell at 141 (-5). Both years this tournament was the lowest in relation to par. It was only one outside the European Tour record which was established at the 2003 Canarias Open de España and again at the 2005 TCL Classic.
• Darren Fichardt will be looking for a successful defence of the title he won at East London Golf Club 12 months ago. Should he prevail once again it would the third consecutive European Tour season he has claimed a title. In 2012 he won the SAINT-OMER OPEN presented by Neuflize OBC and the 2013 Africa Open.
• Should a South African win again in 2014, it would represent only the third official European Tour event that the country has won for five consecutive years. The South African Open Championship was the first tournament this feat was achieved. The years were: 2002 (Tim Clark), 2003-04 (Trevor Immelman), 2005 Tim Clark and Retief Goosen in 2006. (South African players went onto win the South African Open Championship for a further three consecutive years, with Ernie Els in 2007, James Kingston in 2008 and Richard Sterne in 2009). With George Coetzee winning the 2014 Joburg Open, that made it the second event.
• Frenchman Grégory Bourdy has a fine recent record in South Africa. Before his tied 16th in the 2014 Joburg Open, His last two European Tour events in the country has seen him finish tied third in the 2013 Alfred Dunhill Championship and tied second in the 2013 Africa Open.
|T5||VAN ZYL, Jaco||RSA||18||-18|