DID YOU KNOW - TSHWANE OPEN
• The Tshwane Open is the last of a record seven co-sanctioned events with the Sunshine Tour for the 2014 season. South Africa also has the distinction of being the country with the most European Tour events on the 2014 Race to Dubai, with eight.
• Dawie Van der Walt claimed his maiden European Tour title in the inaugural Tshwane Open, 12 months ago. Should he make a successful defence of the title he would have won three times in his last 21 European Tour events, including the 2013 Tshawne Open. The other victory was the 2014 Nelson Mandela Championship presented by ISPS Handa.
• Should DawvieVan der Walt win the event for a second time he would become the third South African this season to claim the same European Tour title in back-to-back years. He would follow Charl Schwartzel (Alfred Dunhill Championship) and Louis Oosthuizen (Volvo Golf Champions).
• Another record Van der Walt is aiming for is to become the first South African player to win his first three European Tour titles on home soil.
• In 2013 The Els Club at the Copperleaf Golf & Country Estate became the first European Tour venue where the course has been designed by Ernie Els. In 2014 and measuring 7,964 yards the Els Club will become the longest course in European Tour history. The previous longest course was the Ritz Carlton GC, which played host to the WGC – Accenture Match Play Championship and measured 7,849 yards in 2009, 2010 and 2011.
• Ernie Els designed the course on the area where his grandfather used to live, Ernie Vermaak.
• The 685 yard par five fourth hole is the longest hole played in European Tour history.
• The Copperleaf venue will be the first European Tour course to have four par five all measuring over 600 yards in length.
• Should Thomas Aiken, who triumphed at the Africa Open two weeks ago win the Tshwane Open he would become the first player to win two events in two consecutive appearances since Phil Mickelson in 2013 when he won the Aberdeen Asset Management Scottish Open and The 142nd Open Championship.
• Should Morten Orum Madsen win for the second time this season following the South Africa Open Championship hosted by the City of Ekurhuleni, he would become the first European to win two co-sanctioned Sunshine Tour events in the same season.
|T2||VAN TONDER, Danie||RSA||18||-17|
|4||DEL MORAL, Carlos||ESP||18||-16|
|T10||FISHER JNR, Trevor||RSA||18||-11|