DID YOU KNOW – TEN FACTS ABOUT THE THE CHAMPIONSHIP AT LAGUNA NATIONAL
• Defending champion, Brett Rumford will be looking to become the first player to successfully defend the title. Should he do so, he would become just the second Australian, following Greg Norman (1981-82 Dunlop Masters), to win the same official European Tour event in consecutive years.
• Brett Rumford won the 2013 edition of the tournament in South Korea. This year the event is being hosted in Singapore. The Australian will be aiming to follow Tiger at the 2002-03 and 2005-07 WGC – Cadillac Championship and successfully defend a European Tour title in different countries. In 2002 Woods won at Mount Juliet in Ireland and the following year at Capital City Club in the United States. In 2005 he won at Harding Park, again in the US, then at The Grove in England in 2006. A year later he claimed the same title in America once again, this time at the Blue Monster, Trump National Doral.
• In the six previous tournaments dating back to 2008, there has only been one first-time European Tour winner. This was Bernd Wiesberger, back in 2012. The Austrian is a total of 20 under par for his eight rounds in the event. He was tied 31st in 2013.
• The last two play-off in the event have both involved three players and both only lasted one hole. The winners were Thongchai Jaidee in 2009 and Brett Rumford in 2013 respectively.
• The Masters Course at Laguna National will be playing host to European Tour competition for the first time since the 2007 Singapore Masters. The Andy Dye layout was the venue for the Singapore Masters between 2001-07.
• The Championship at Laguna National will see Singapore stage it’s fourth different European Tour event. The first was the Johnnie Walker Classic in 1993 and again in 1996. Next came the Singapore Masters and thirdly the Singapore Open between 2009-12. No Asian destination has witnessed four different European Tour events before.
• Singapore’s only European Tour victory came on home soil in the shape of Mardan Mamat in the 2006 Singapore Masters.
• The Masters Course has been a happy hunting ground for Asian players. In the seven Singapore Masters between 2001-07, four were won by Asian golfers. They were: Arjun Atwal (2002), Zhang Lian-wei (2003), Mardan Mamat (2006) and Liang Wen-chong (2007).
• The wins by Zhang Lian-wei (2003) and Liang Wen-chong (2007) are the only two European Tour victories by Chinese players.
• The Championship at Laguna National has a place in European Tour history. The 2008 and 2009 editions both were settled via a play-off. This marked the first time that a tournament has witnessed extra holes in its first two years.