European Tour players Luke Donald and Graeme McDowell have helped raise a staggering £374,000 for BBC Children in Need through the Chris Evans BMW PGA Championship 2015 charity auction.
Evans held the fundraising auction for a third consecutive year on his popular BBC2 Breakfast Show, offering listeners the chance to bid for the stunning ‘Super Swing Golf Package’, which included the chance to play with one of the two Ryder Cup players at the European Tour’s flagship event at Wentworth Club in May.
Four generous benefactors parted with £273,000 including one person who bid an impressive £101,000 for the chance of a lifetime golf package. This winning bid was then fund matched by a mystery Children in Need Donor taking the grand total raised by the Super Swing Package to £374,000 – a record amount for the annual auction.
McDowell, the 2010 US Open Champion who was undefeated in Europe’s Ryder Cup triumph in September, will once again partner Evans in the Celebrity Pro-Am before the BMW PGA Championship on Wednesday May 20, when they will be joined by two of the successful bidders.
Former World Number One Donald, a two-time winner of the BMW PGA Championship, will be joined by two other successful bidders in his team with Breakfast Show Sports Presenter, Vassos Alexander.
The magnificent package for 2015 includes:
• A visit to Radio 2 and The Chris Evans Breakfast Show to meet the Team and have fun on the Radio on Tuesday 19 May 2015
• A warm up round of Golf at Sunningdale Golf Club, with Vassos and Chris joining in the Four Ball fun, followed by lunch at The Clubhouse
• Five Nights Accommodation at The Macdonald Berystede Hotel & Spa (Bed & Breakfast basis, check in Tuesday 19 May, including complimentary use of Spa)
• Two x four balls in the BMW PGA Championship Celebrity Pro-Am, consisting of four winners, Chris Evans and Graeme McDowell / Vassos Alexander and Luke Donald – Wednesday 20 May
• BMW Transfers from Hotel to Wentworth Golf Club return on Wednesday 20 May
• Attend the Celebrity Pro-Am Dinner and Prize Giving in the BMW Pavilion after play on Wednesday 20 May 2015
• Full VIP Custom Fitting Experience at Titleist Headquarters in Cambridge (prior to BMW PGA Championship) - includes Titleist Clubs and Footjoy Shoes, plus gloves and balls
• Season Ticket for all (Thursday 21 – Sunday 24 May 2015)
• BMW Pavilion Hospitality overlooking the 18th Green – hosted by The European Tour (Thursday 21– Sunday 24 May 2015)
• AND on the Sunday the bidders will be able to meet and have their picture taken with the newly crowned winner of the BMW PGA Championship 2015
Chris Evans said: “Wow. Never in our wildest dreams did we imagine our golf package would raise such a huge amount of money for Children In Need. We are genuinely blown away. Thanks to everyone involved.”
McDowell said: “I've been involved with this initiative for the past couple of years. We’ve had a great time with the previous winners and I’m sure this year will be just as enjoyable for everyone involved. Children in Need is a fantastic cause and to be able to help out with the fundraising through Chris's show and the BMW PGA Championship is great.”
Jamie Birkmyre, Championship Director for the BMW PGA Championship, added: “This year’s appeal has been truly incredible and has surpassed everyone’s expectations, raising £180,000 more than our 2014 total, so we are extremely grateful to our generous bidders and we look forward to welcoming them to Wentworth Club in May.
“Chris and Vassos, and all of the BBC Radio2 Breakfast Show team, have once again done a magnificent job, and it is a privilege for the BMW PGA Championship to play a small part in the overall fundraising for Children in Need. I’m sure the successful bidders will have a fantastic time alongside Graeme and Luke, and we thank them for helping to make the auction such a huge success.”
Advance tickets and Hospitality packages for the BMW PGA Championship 2015 are available at reduced pre-Christmas prices TODAY. Please see www.europeantour.com/tickets for further details on how to purchase tickets for The European Tour’s flagship event at Wentworth Club.