SUNDAY FEBRUARY 26, 2017 – JOBURG OPEN
• His fifth European Tour International Schedule victory in his 332nd official European Tour event.
• Moves to 221,165 points in the Race to Dubai.
• Could move to just outside the top 190 in the Official World Golf Ranking, from 313th.
• His first European Tour victory since the 2013 Africa Open – a gap of four years and nine days.
• In that time has played in 98 official European Tour events between victories.
• This victory beats his previous best finishes since his 2013 win of second in the 2013 Tshwane Open and tied second in the 2016 BMW International Open.
• This victory beats his previous best 2017 European Tour performance of tied 26th in the BMW SA Open hosted by City of Ekurhuleni.
• Victory comes in his 11th appearance in the Joburg Open. (Has played in every Joburg Open since the event began in 2007).
• This victory beats his previous best finish in the Joburg Open of tied 18th in 2015.
• Becomes the seventh winner to lead or share the lead going into the final round this season.
• Continues with his 100% winning record of winning all five of his European Tour titles when leading or sharing the lead going into the final round.
• Continues with South Africa’s domination of the Joburg Open. Follows Richard Sterne (2008, 13), Charl Schwartzel (2010-11), Branden Grace (2012), George Coetzee (2014) and Haydn Porteous (2016), as South African winners of the event.
• The 139th South African victory in European Tour history.
• Becomes the second South African victory of the 2017 season. They are: Brandon Stone (Alfred Dunhill Championship) and Darren Fichardt (Joburg Open).
• South Africa is the third country this season to record multiple victories, following England and Australia.
• Gains an exemption into The 146th Open Championship in July as a result of being one of the leading three players who finish inside the top ten not already exempt.
• His second European Tour title on home soil, following the 2013 Africa Open.
• His first European Tour victory since reaching the age of 40, aged 41 years and 289 days.
• Becomes the oldest winner on the 2017 European Tour, beating Brett Rumford, who was 39 years and 214 days when he won the ISPS HANDA World Super 6 Perth.
• Aged 41 years and 289 days becomes the oldest winner of the Joburg Open, beating the previous record of Anders Hansen, who was 38 years and 117 days in 2009.
• The first player over 40 to win on the European Tour since Padraig Harrington, who was 45 years and 53 days, when he won the 2016 Portugal Masters.
• Gains a European Tour exemption until the end of the 2018 season.
• Gains his 21st win as a professional.