WITH THIS WIN
• His first Major Championship victory in his 19th Major Championship appearance
• Becomes the first European to win the US Open Championship since Tony Jacklin in 1970
• Only the second player from Northern Ireland to win a Major Championship, following Fred Daly (1947 Open Championship). (Daly and McDowell were both born in Portrush) and only the third Irishman in history to win a Major following Padraig Harrington (2007 and 2008 Open Championship and 2008 US PGA Championship)
• Joins Harry Vardon (1900), Ted Ray (1920), Jim Barnes (1921), Tommy Armour (1927) and Tony Jacklin (1970) as British golfers to win the US Open Championship
• Joins Tony Jacklin (1970), Ernie Els (1994, 1997), Retief Goosen (2001, 2004), Michael Campbell (2005), Geoff Ogilvy (2006) and Angel Cabrera (2007) as European Tour Members to win the US Open Championship
• His sixth European Tour International Schedule victory in his 190th European Tour event
• Second win of The 2010 European Tour International Schedule, following The Celtic Manor Wales Open; his last European Tour appearance
• This victory beats his previous Major Championship finish of tied tenth in the 2009 US PGA Championship
• This victory comes in his fifth US Open Championship appearance. His previous best performance was tied 18th in 2009
• The 38th Major Championship victory by a European Tour Member since Seve Ballesteros won The Open Championship in 1979
• The 17th different European Tour Member to win a Major Championship since Seve Ballesteros in 1979
• Second player to record multiple victories on the 2010 European Tour International Schedule, following Charl Schwartzel (Africa Open and Joburg Open)
• Second player this season to win in consecutive European Tour appearances, following his victory in The Celtic Manor Wales Open. Charl Schwartzel was the first in the Africa Open and Joburg Open
• Climbs 24 places to 13th in the Official World Golf Ranking
• Gains a ten year exemption into the US Open Championship
• Gains a five year exemption into the Masters Tournament, Open Championship and US PGA Championship
• Gains a place in the 2010 PGA Grand Slam of Golf
• Extends his European Tour exemption until the end of 2017
• Moves over €8 million in European Tour Career Earnings
• The 36th Northern Irish victory in European Tour history
• His sixth win as a professional worldwide
Graeme McDowell Factfile
1979: Born Portrush, July 30.
1996: Wins Ulster Boys Championship.
1998: Attends the University of Alabama.
1999: Wins Irish Youths Championship.
2000: Further success in the Palmer Cup, Irish Amateur Maury Close Championship, Irish Youths Championship, World Universities Championship and South of Ireland Championship.
2001: Palmer Cup winner again and also part of Great Britain and Ireland team which retains Walker Cup in Georgia. Conference USA Player of the Year, Ranked Number One Collegiate Player in the US.
2002: Wins Haskins Award for most outstanding collegiate golfer in the United States. Later turns professional and goes on to win the Scandinavian Masters in only his fourth start on The European Tour.
2004: Success in the 61st Telecom Italia Open - after a play-off with Thomas Levet - helps him finish sixth on The European Tour Order of Merit.
2005: Climbs into top 50 in the Official World Golf Rankings for the first time.
2008: Wins Ballantine's Championship in Korea and Barclays Scottish Open. Earns 2 1/2 points for the European Team on an impressive Ryder Cup debut and finishes the season ranked fifth on the Order of Merit.
2010: June: Follows success in The Celtic Manor Wales Open with victory in the US Open at Pebble Beach, becoming the first Northern Irishman to accomplish the feat and the first European to win the title since Tony Jacklin in 1970.
EUROPEAN WINNERS OF MAJOR CHAMPIONSHIP SINCE 1979
Year Player Title
1979 Seve Ballesteros Open Championship
1980 Seve Ballesteros Masters Tournament
1983 Seve Ballesteros Masters Tournament
1984 Seve Ballesteros Open Championship
1985 Bernhard Langer Masters Tournament
1985 Sandy Lyle Open Championship
1987 Sir Nick Faldo Open Championship
1988 Sandy Lyle Masters Tournament
1988 Seve Ballesteros Open Championship
1989 Sir Nick Faldo Masters Tournament
1990 Sir Nick Faldo Masters Tournament
1990 Sir Nick Faldo Open Championship
1991 Ian Woosnam Masters Tournament
1992 Sir Nick Faldo Open Championship
1993 Bernhard Langer Masters Tournament
1994 José Maria Olazábal Masters Tournament
1996 Sir Nick Faldo Masters Tournament
1999 José Maria Olazábal Masters Tournament
1999 Paul Lawrie Open Championship
2007 Padraig Harrington Open Championship
2008 Padraig Harrington Open Championship
2008 Padraig Harrington US PGA Championship
2010 Graeme McDowell US Open Championship