Fred Couples (Getty Images)
SUNDAY JULY 29 2012 – THE SENIOR OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP PRESENTED BY ROLEX
- His first European Senior Tour victory in his third European Senior Tour appearance.
- This victory beats his previous best finish on the European Senior Tour of second in the 2010 US Senior PGA Championship
- Wins The Senior Open Championship presented by Rolex on his debut in the event.
- Follows Neil Coles (1987), Bobby Verwey (1991), Tom Wargo (1994), Brian Barnes (1995), Chirsty O’Connor Jnr (1999), as players to win The Senior Open Championship presented by Rolex on their first appearance.
- Claims his second Senior Major Championship, following the 2011 Senior Players Championship.
- Follows Tom Wargo (1994), Tom Watson (2003, 2005 and 2007), Pete Oakley (2004), Loren Roberts (2006 and 2009), Bruce Vaughan (2008) and Russ Cochran (2011), as American winners of The Senior Open Championship presented by Rolex.
- Gains a place in The 142nd Open Championship in 2013.
- Seals his eighth victory since turning 50 in October 2009.
- Claims his second victory of 2012, following the Mississippi Gulf Coast Classic.
- Earns his 55th victory as a professional.