The Golf Federation of Flanders has announced that Golf has been chosen as “Sport of the year 2013”. Every year the minister of Sports and his department BLOSO chooses ‘a sport in the spotlight’ and this year golf is the one to be strongly promoted in the Flemish part of Belgium.
The campaign has been warmly welcomed by European Tour professionals led by Belgium's first Ryder Cup player, Nicolas Colsaerts, and fellow champions Maarten Lafeber, Thomas Levet, Matteo Manassero, Thomas Levet, Johan Edfors and Simon Dyson.
Thanks to this election the sport of golf will be advertised through the year and receive extra support by the Flemish government. The Golf Federation together with The Department of Sport will organise various activities so that people of different ages, gender and cultures in Flanders get to know and ‘taste’ the game of golf.
- Actions to promote golf with an “Open Day” on April and Golf in parks in the city on June 2; More than 6000 people are expected on these events.
- Actions to educate: Golf at school - where 500 teachers will receive education and material to give golf in their schools. More than 100.000 children will be invited
- Actions to “ taste” /try out golf with the ‘golf on the road’ events. More than 20 000 kids will hit their first golf ball in one of the 45 events.
- Actions to start to play Golf: the golfclubs will offer special packages in September during ‘the Flemish week of sport clubs ’ for youth with ‘start to golf-lessons’
- Actions to compete: with the first world school championships for golf - in November.
The Flemish Minister of Sports Mr. Muyters also gives his support to golf from his authority as Minister of Environmental Planning. He is hopeful that given those initiatives, the procedures and projects that have been in the pipeline for several years, can be finalised in short term.
All actions will be supported with a communication campaign. TV spots on Flemish National TV, radio commercials, booklets on how to start, flyers … Also social media will be used to spread the word on Golf 2013, the sport of the year!
Grow the game! Flanders has 54 Golf Clubs with 34.000 players and has still a great potential. This election comes at the right time. Golf is for the first time really building media attention thanks to the performance of Colsaerts and because for the first time in ten years new courses are permitted to be built. This combined with the dynamic actions of sport of the year will hopefully make it possible to grow to 50.000 players in Flanders by 2020.
There are many beautiful golf courses in Flanders in a range of inspiring locations. Golf 2013, thé sport of the year could also be a good reason to discover the great diversity of golf courses in Flanders. Flanders offers golf courses over 100 years old; golf at the coast; golf near the historical cities; golf in Flanders Fields; golf in natural surroundings; and golf in the Capital of Europe.
No lover of the game will fail to be impressed with what awaits them in Flanders.
Visit Flanders through its golf courses and get to know the region for what it truly is - a marvel of open spaces and nature with a friendly and historic atmosphere at the heart of Europe.
More information on all activities ‘Sport of the year’: www.sportvanhetjaar.be
Nicolas Colsaerts & his colleagues congratulating Sport of The Year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRLjT-0t4x4&feature=youtu.be
Youtube Video clip on sport of the year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R6DKNcuOn0