United States Ryder Cup Captain Tom Watson announced that he will reduce the total Captain’s selections for the 2014 Team from four to three players. Watson will make his choices in September 2014, prior to the event to be held at The Gleneagles Hotel.
The United States points system will determine the top nine players for the 2014 United States Ryder Cup Team. The US had implemented a four-player Captain’s selection process since 2008.
The 40th edition of The Ryder Cup will be contested Sept 26-28, 2014, at The Gleneagles Hotel in Perthshire, Scotland.
“Giving our players one more opportunity to earn a spot on merit, I believe, is the right thing to do,” said Watson. “I will use all possible resources in choosing these three Captain's choices to complete the best possible team in order to win the Cup back for the United States.”
The points system to determine the 2014 US Ryder Cup Team begins on April 14, at the conclusion of the 2013 Masters Tournament.
PGA of America President Ted Bishope, said: “Tom is committed to do everything in his power to win The Ryder Cup, and his evaluation and research of the US qualifying system is just another example of his dedication to identify the best players for the 2014 United States Ryder Cup Team.”
At closer glance, the 2014 United States Ryder Cup points system:
• Prize money earned in the 2013 Major Championships (Masters, US Open, Open Championship, and US PGA Championship): One point is awarded for every $1,000 earned; all US players making the cut will earn points.
• Prize money earned in 2014 US PGA Tour events, beginning October 7, 2013, at the Frys.com Open through to the 2014 US PGA Championship, ending August 10, 2014. One point is awarded for every $1,000 earned, excluding the Major Championships, events played opposite Major Championships and events played opposite World Golf Championships; all US players making the cut will earn points.
• Prize money earned for the 2014 major championships: (Masters, U.S. Open, Open Championship, and the PGA Championship). Two points are awarded for every $1,000 earned; all U.S. players making the cut will earn points.
• Prize money earned in 2014 events played opposite the Major Championships and opposite World Golf Championships between January 1 and the 2014 US PGA Championship - one-half point will be awarded for every $1,000 earned; all US players making the cut will earn points.
• US Captain Tom Watson will complete the team with three Captain’s selections in September 2014.
About Ryder Cup Captains’ Selections
Utilising the Ryder Cup Captain to complete team selections has evolved over the years:
About Ryder Cup Captains’ Selections - Europe
In the 17 Ryder Cups contested since 1979, when players from Continental Europe first competed for the first time, there have been ten occasions when the European Captain has made two picks (1979, ’81, ’95, ’97, ’99, 2002, ‘04, ’06, ‘08 and ’12), and six occasions when three picks were made (1985, ’87, ’89, ’91, ’93 and 2010). The only departure from this came in 1983 when all 12 European team members were taken directly from the Official Money List.
United States – The 1989 US Team was the first to feature Captain’s selections (2), and the format continued through 2006. From 2008 through 2012, the United States Team featured four Captain selections.