SUNDAY MARCH 31, 2013 – TROPHÉE HASSAN II
Marcel Siem (Getty Images)
• His third European Tour International Schedule victory in his 301st European Tour event.
• Could move to inside the top 50 of the Official World Golf Ranking from 72nd. (This is subject to the final result of the Shell Houston Open). Should he move into the top 50 would gain an invitation to the Masters Tournament.
• His second consecutive European Tour season with a victory, following the 2012 Alstom Open de France.
• Played in 226 European Tour events between his first and second victories; the 2004 dunhill championship and 2012 Alstom Open de France. Played in only 18 tournaments between wins number two and three.
• This victory beats his previous best 2013 performance of 26th in the Volvo Golf Champions.
• His first wire-to-wire victory on The European Tour.
• The fourth wire-to-wire victory of the 2013 European Tour season to date. He follows Richard Sterne (Joburg Open), Tiger Woods (WGC – Cadillac Championship) and Kiradech Aphibarnrat (Maybank Malaysian Open).
• Follows Kiradech Aphibarnrat who won the Maybank Malaysian Open seven days ago, to win wire-to-wire with no ties. Siem led by three after rounds one and two and by four after 54 holes. Since the event became part of The European Tour in 2010, Siem’s three shot lead after rounds one and two and his four after round three are the largest.
• His winning margin of three equals the largest since the event became part of The European Tour in 2010, matching that of Michael Hoey in 2012.
• Since the event became part of The European Tour in 2010, is the first wire-to-wire winner.
• The first of his three European Tour victories where he has led going into the final round. In both his previous two victories, the 2004 dunhill championship and 2012 Alstom Open de France he made up two shots in the final round to win.
• The first German winner of the Trophée Hassan II, since the event began in 1971.
• Germany becomes the 12th different country to win the Trophée Hassan II since the event began in 1971.
• Victory comes in his fourth appearance in the event since the tournament became part of The European Tour in 2010.
• This victory beats his previous best finish in the event of tied 52nd in 2012.
• The 64th German victory in European Tour history.
• Gains a place in the 2014 Volvo Golf Champions.
• Gains his third victory as a professional.
• Becomes the sixth former Challenge Tour Member to win on the 2013 European Tour. They are: Scott Jamieson (Nelson Mandela Championship presented by ISPS Handa), Louis Oosthuizen (Volvo Golf Champions), Jamie Donaldson (Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship), Stephen Gallacher (Omega Dubai Desert Classic), Richard Sterne (Joburg Open) and Marcel Siem (Trophée Hassan II).
• Would be the 313th European Tour victory by a former European Challenge Tour player.