WITH THIS WIN
SUNDAY JUNE 16, 2013 – US OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
• First Englishman to win the US Open Championship since Tony Jacklin in 1970.
• Follows Horace Rawlins (1895), Joe Lloyd (1897), Harry Vardon (1900), George Sargent (1909), Ted Ray (1920), Jim Barnes (1921), Cyril Walker (1924) and Tony Jacklin (1970), as Englishmen to win the US Open Championship.
• It’s the 46th Major Championship victory by a European Tour Member since 1979.
• Becomes the seventh European Tour Member to win the US Open Championship, following Ernie Els (1994 and 1997), Retief Goosen (2001 and 2004), Michael Campbell (2005), Angel Cabrera (2007), Graeme McDowell (2010) and Rory McIlroy (2011).
• Becomes 23rd different European Tour Member to win a Major Championship since 1979.
• Only the second Englishman to win a Major Championship since birth of The European Tour, following Sir Nick Faldo and first English Major winner since Faldo at the 1996 Masters Tournament.
• Beats his previous best Major Championship performance of tied third in the 2012 US PGA Championship.
• Claims his sixth European Tour International Schedule victory in his 228th European Tour event.
Moves to the top of The Race to Dubai with €,557,900.
• Moves to third in the Official World Golf Ranking, from fifth.
• First Major Championship victory in his 37th Major Championship appearance.
• Comes in his eighth appearance in the US Open Championship.
• Beats his previous best performance in the US Open Championship of tied fifth, on his debut in 2003.
• First European Tour victory since the 2012 WGC – Cadillac Championship.
• Fifth consecutive season that the winner of the US Open Championship has made this Major their first Major triumph. Follows: Lucas Glover (2009), Graeme McDowell (2010), Rory McIlroy (2011) and Webb Simpson (2012).
• Records the 279th English victory in European Tour history.
• Second Englishman to win on The European Tour in 2013, following Chris Wood (Commercial Bank Qatar Masters).
• His 13th victory worldwide as a professional.
• Moves over €13 million in European Tour Official Career Earnings.
• Extends his European Tour exemption until the end of 2020.
• Gains a ten year exemption into the US Open Championship and five years into the Masters Tournament, Open Championship and US PGA Championship.
• Gains a place into the 2013 PGA Grand Slam of Golf, 2013 WGC – Bridgestone Invitational, 2013 WGC – HSBC Champions and 2014 Volvo Golf Champions.
• Becomes the 12th European Tour victory by former Challenge Tour players on the 2013 European Tour. They are: Scott Jamieson (Nelson Mandela Championship presented by ISPS Handa), Louis Oosthuizen (Volvo Golf Champions), Jamie Donaldson (Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship), Stephen Gallacher (Omega Dubai Desert Classic), Richard Sterne (Joburg Open), Marcel Siem (Trophée Hassan II), Raphaël Jacquelin (Open de España), Brett Rumford (Ballantine’s Championship and Volvo China Open), Joost Luiten (Lyoness Open powered by Greenfinity) , Simon Thornton (Najeti Hotels et Golfs Open presented by Neuflize OBC) and Justin Rose (US Open Championship).
• Records the 319th European Tour victory by a former Challenge Tour player.
• The fifth former Challenge Tour player to win a Major Championship. He would follow: Michael Campbell (2005 US Open Championship), Trevor Immelman (2008 Masters Tournament), Louis Oosthuizen (2010 Open Championship) and Martin Kaymer (2010 US PGA Championship).