The Scottish golf tourism industry has paid tribute to the contribution of Aberdeen Asset Management to golf in Scotland by honouring CEO Martin Gilbert with the coveted Special Achievement Award at the 10th annual Scottish Golf Tourism Excellence Awards.
Gilbert was one of 11 winners on an evening when representatives of the Scottish golf tourism industry voted their top performers of 2013 during Golf Tourism Scotland’s annual awards ceremony at the five-star De Vere Cameron House Hotel on the banks of Loch Lomond.
Members of Golf Tourism Scotland (GTS), the body representing the golf tourism industry, wanted to recognise Aberdeen Asset Management’s commitment to golf in Scotland, which not only includes title sponsorship of both the Scottish and Ladies Scottish Opens, but huge support to players through all levels of the game.
Stewart Walker, chairman of GTS, said: “The golf industry is of vital importance to the Scottish economy and it is therefore key that everyone in the industry works together to build an even bigger future for golf in this country.
“We would like to thank Martin Gilbert for his commitment to golf in Scotland and we are delighted to honour him with the Special Achievement Award for 2013. I would also like to congratulate all our winners on such a special evening. To be honoured among the world-class golf businesses we have here is no mean feat and shows that golf tourism in Scotland is in very good hands for the future.”
More than 130 guests attended the awards ceremony, sponsored by Arnold Clark Car & Van Rental, on Friday 22 November to pay tribute to the excellent achievements of the Scottish golf industry during a successful 2013. The awards were presented by BBC Sport Commentator, and keen golfer, Andrew Cotter while guests were also treated to entertainment by the Singer Swingers, sponsored by CalMac Ferries. Official suppliers to the awards were The Leith Silver Company, ScotCrystal and Kilts4U.
The full list of winners recognised were:
1. Young Industry Person of the Year Ruairidh Macdonald
2. Accommodation Experience of the Year (21 bedrooms or fewer) Sandown House, Nairn
3. Accommodation Experience of the Year (22 bedrooms or more) Macdonald Marine Hotel
4. Resort Experience of the Year (Accommodation provider with a minimum of 50 rooms and an attached golf course or courses) The Village at Machrihanish Dunes
5. Transport Provider of the Year St Andrews Executive Travel
6. Domestic Golf Tour Operator of the Year Sponsored by Arnold Clark Car & Van Rental Links Golf St Andrews
7. International Golf Tour Operator of the Year Sponsored by Arnold Clark Car & Van Rental Haversham & Baker, USA
8. Course & Club Experience of the Year (Green fee of £75 or less) Fairmont St Andrews (The Kittocks Course)
9. Course & Club Experience of the Year (Green fee above £75) Kingsbarns Golf Links
10. GTS Sustainability Award 2013 The Village at Machrihanish Dunes
11. Special Achievement Award 2013 Martin Gilbert, CEO, Aberdeen Asset Management