The United States team will feature six boys and six girls who are American citizens and are members of the high school graduating class of 2017, or younger.
1) 2016 – U.S. Junior Amateur Champion, to be contested July 18-23, 2016 at the Honors Course in Chattanooga, Tennessee. If the champion is not eligible, this becomes a captain’s pick.
2) 2016 – U.S. Girls’ Junior Champion, to be contested July 18-23, 2016 at Ridgewood Country Club, Paramus, New Jersey. If the champion is not eligible, this becomes a captain’s pick.
3) 2016 – 41st Junior PGA Championship Boy/Girl Champion and runner-up (total of 2 boys/2 girls) to be contested August 9-12, 2016 at Wannamoisett Country Club in Rumford, Rhode Island. If the champion or runner-up is not eligible, this becomes a captain’s pick.
4) Top Boy/Girl from the USA Junior Ryder Cup points list, which will start awarding points at the 2015 U.S. Junior Amateur and U.S. Girls’ Junior. This will include the AJGA fall and next summer’s 2016 "Invitationals", all PGA Junior Series events, USGA Junior Section and National Championships, PGA Junior Section and National Championships and select independent events like the Orange Bowl International Junior, Sea Pines Junior Heritage, Kathy Whitworth Girls Invitational and Scott Robertson Memorial. In addition, points are awarded to those juniors who make the cut in a 2015/2016 PGA Tour, LPGA major or USGA national event.
5) The final four spots will be two Boys and two Girls captain's picks.
The United States of America team will be announced by The PGA of America on August 16, 2016.