SUNDAY JULY 24, 2011 – THE SENIOR OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
• His first European Senior Tour title in his fifth European Senior Tour event.
• First Senior Major Championship victory. This beats his previous best finish in The Senior Open Championship of tied third in 2010.
• This victory beats his best previous European Senior Tour performance of tied third in The 2010 Senior Open Championship.
• Joins Gary Player (1988), Bobby Verwey (1991), Tom Wargo (1994), Brian Barnes (1995), Christy O’Connor Jnr (1999), Noburu Sugai (2002), Tom Watson (2003), Pete Oakley (2004), Loren Roberts (2006) and Bruce Vaughan (2008), as players to make The Senior Open Championship their first European Senior Tour victory.
• Joins fellow Americans, Tom Wargo (1994), Tom Watson (2003, 05, 07), Pete Oakley (2004), Loren Roberts (2006, 09) and Bruce Vaughan (2008), to win The Senior Open Championship.
• Maintains the American dominance of recent Championships. The United States have now won eight of the last nine Senior Open Championships.
• The 16th player to win The Senior Open Championship since the event began in 1987
• Joins Bob Charles (1989 and 1993) as left-handers to win The Senior Open Championship.
• Becomes the eighth first-time winner of the 2011 European Tour season. They are: Peter Senior (Australian Senior Open), Masahiro Kuramoto (Handa Cup Senior Masters), David Frost (Mauritius Commercial Bank Open), Chris Williams (Aberdeen Brunei Senior Masters presented by The Stapleford Forum), Sandy Lyle (ISPS Handa Senior World Championship presented by Mission Hills China), Peter Fowler (ISPS Handa Senior Masters presented by The Stapleford Forum), Andrew Oldcorn (De Vere Club PGA Seniors Championship) and Russ Cochran (The Senior Open Championship).
• Gains an exemption into The Open Championship in 2012.