The European Tour is seeking to reward everyday heroes of the Covid-19 pandemic with unforgettable golfing experiences and prizes, as the #GolfForGood initiative gets under way at the Betfred British Masters hosted by Lee Westwood.
The first exclusive prize on offer for a deserving key worker or unsung hero is a round of golf at Close House, near Newcastle-Upon Tyne, with this week’s host - the former World Number One and Ryder Cup legend Lee Westwood.
During all six events in the new UK Swing, which tees off at Close House on Wednesday, the European Tour is inviting fans to nominate everyday heroes who have had a positive impact on their community in recent months.
The first lucky winner will enjoy a socially distanced day with Westwood at the 250-year-old Close House estate in the beautiful Tyne Valley, amidst the ancient remains of Hadrian’s Wall.
The local hero will be in the best possible company to enjoy the venue, which boasts the 18 hole Lee Westwood Championship Colt and Filly courses and the nine hole Yearling course, as the 25-time European Tour winner is currently the Close House Touring Professional.
Each weekly winner will also receive a year's supply of Callaway Chrome Soft golf balls courtesy of European Tour Official Partner Callaway.
If you know a golf fan who would love this unforgettable experience in the company of Westwood at Close House, go to Et.golf/nominate-a-hero and describe the positive contribution your nomination has made to their community or the lives of others during these unprecedented times.
Exciting experiences and prizes will be announced during all six events in the UK Swing, which are:
• Betfred British Masters hosted by Lee Westwood, Close House, near Newcastle - July 22-25
• Hero Open, Forest of Arden Marriott Hotel & Country Club, Birmingham – July 30-August 2
• English Championship, Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club, Ware, Hertfordshire - August 6-9
• Celtic Classic, The Celtic Manor Resort, City of Newport - August 13-16
• Wales Open, The Celtic Manor Resort, City of Newport - August 20-23
• UK Championship, The Belfry, Sutton Coldfield – August 27-30
All European Tour tournaments for the remainder of the 2020 season form part of the Tour’s #GolfForGood initiative, a narrative which underpins the season and aims to give back in three key areas:
▪ Supporting the Communities where the European Tour plays.
▪ Rewarding the true heroes, such as the front line workers.
▪ Promoting the many health benefits that golf offers.
The six-week UK Swing will culminate in £500,000 from the European Tour distributed equally between charities local to the tournament venues and charities chosen by the leading ten players in a mini Order of Merit which will run across the six tournaments.
Local businesses will also benefit from a European Tour advertising package at each UK Swing event, as well as a significant number of tour-grade range golf balls, as used by the professionals, donated in partnership with Callaway, the Official Golf Ball of the European Tour and UK Swing events.