WITH THIS WIN
SUNDAY JUNE 12, 2011 – BMW ITALIAN OPEN PRESENTED BY CARTASI
• His first European Tour International Schedule victory in his 209th European Tour event.
• Moves to €446,701 in The Race to Dubai.
• Moves to inside the top 115 in the Official World Golf Ranking, from 165th.
• This victory beats his previous best European Tour finishes of second in the 2009 3 Irish Open, tied second in the 2009 Alfred Dunhill Championship and tied second in the 2009 BMW Italian Open presented by CartaSi.
• This victory beats his previous best 2011 performance of tied fifth in the South African Open Championship.
• The fourth first-time winner of the 2011 season. The first-time winners are: Nick Watney (WGC – Cadillac Championship), Nicolas Colsaerts (Volvo China Open), Thomas Aiken (Open de España) and Robert Rock (BMW Italian Open presented by CartaSi).
• The second wire-to-wire winner of the season, following Luke Donald at the BMW PGA Championship.
• The fifth wire-to-wire winner in the BMW Italian Open, following Baldovino Dassu (1976), José Maria Cañizares (1981), Sam Torrance (1987) and Richard Boxall (1990).
• Joins Norman Wood (1972), Billy Casper (1975), Angel Gallardo (1977), Massimo Mannelli (1980), David Feherty (1986), Ronan Rafferty (1989), Richard Boxall (1990), Patrik Sjöland (1998), Dean Robertson (1999), Ian Poulter (2000), Grégory Havret (2001), Steve Webster (2005), Francesco Molinari (2006), Hennie Otto (2008) and Fredrik Anderson Hed (2010), as players to make the BMW Italian Open presented by CartaSi their first European Tour victory.
• This will be the first occasion he has led a European Tour event going into the final round in all of his 209 events.
• Seventh English victory of the 2011 season. They are: Paul Casey (Volvo Golf Champions), Luke Donald (WGC – Accenture Match Play Championship and BMW PGA Championship), David Horsey (Trophée Hassan II), Lee Westwood (Ballantine’s Championship), Ian Poulter (Volvo World Match Play Championship) and Robert Rock (BMW Italian Open presented by CartaSi)
• Joins Tony Jacklin (1973), Peter Oosterhuis (1974), Mark James (1982), Richard Boxall (1990), Jim Payne (1996), Ian Poulter (2000 and 2002) and Steve Webster (2005), as English winners of the BMW Italian Open presented by CartaSi.
• The 264th English victory in European Tour history.
• Becomes the 82nd different Englishman to win on The European Tour.
• The 391st different player to win on The European Tour.
• Gains a two year European Tour exemption until the end of the 2013 season.
• His first win as a professional.
• Gains a place in the 2011 WGC – HSBC Champions.