DID YOU KNOW? – TROPHÉE HASSAN II
• The 2011 champion, David Horsey will attempt to make a successful defence of his title and win for the third consecutive season on The European Tour. His first triumph came at the 2010 BMW International Open.
• On his way to victory 12 months ago, David Horsey made a hole-in-one on the second hole on day four. He became only the fourth player in European Tour history to make an ace in the final round and go onto win. He follows: Thongchai Jaidee (2004 Carlsberg Malaysian Open), Miguel Angel Jiménez (2008 BMW PGA Championship) and Alvaro Quiros (2011 Omega Dubai Desert Classic).
• The Trophée Hassan II was first played in 1971 and is Morocco’s longest running sporting event. It was first won by 1969 US Open Champion, Orville Moody. The tournament is rich in history with no fewer than nine Major Champions prevailing. They are: Orville Moody (1971), Billy Casper (1973, 75), Lee Trevino (1977), Vijay Singh (1991), Payne Stewart (1992, 93), Nick Price (1995), David Toms (1999), Padraig Harrington (2007) and Ernie Els (2008).
• There is one past winner of the event playing this week, before the tournament became part of The European Tour International Schedule in 2010. It is Ignacio Garido back in 1996.
• The Golf du Palais Royal is no stranger to staging European Tour competition, having been one of two courses to host this event in 2011, (along with the Golf de L’Océan course). Before then the Golf du Palais entertained the Moroccan Open between 1993-96 and again between 1997-99.