DID YOU KNOW? – ISPS HANDA WALES OPEN
• On his way to victory in 2006, Robert Karlsson created two European Tour records, firstly for the lowest opening 36 holes, with a score of 124, and followed that by creating the lowest opening 54 hole score of 189.
• Since The European Tour’s first season in 1972, Ian Woosnam (1983 British Masters and 1990 Epson Grand Prix of Europe) is the only Welshman to win a European Tour event on home soil.
• Even though a Welshman has yet to win their national open, they have a fine record at Celtic Manor.. Here are the best performances year by year: 2000 – Ian Woosnam, tied third; 2001 – Jamie Donaldson and Mark Pilkington, tied fourth; 2002 – Bradley Dredge, tied ninth; 2003 – Phillip Price, tied seventh; 2004 – Stephen Dodd, tied ninth; 2005 – Ian Woosnam, tied fifth; 2006 – Bradley Dredge, tied seventh; 2007 – Bradley Dredge, tied second; 2008 – Jamie Donaldson, tied 15th, 2009 – Rhys Davies, tied 17th ; 2010 – Rhys Davies, second and 2011 – Jamie Donaldson, tied eighth.
• Alex Noren is bidding to make history by becoming the first player to successfully defend the ISPS Handa Wales Open.
• European Tour history was made in this event in 2007 for the most players tied for the lead after the first round. Nine golfers all tied on 65 (-4), beating the old record of eight at the 1995 European Masters.