15 FACTS ABOUT THE 2014 MASTERS TOURNAMENT
• There will be 36 European Tour Members playing this year.
• Of those 36, five are making their first appearance. They are: Jonas Blixt, Brendon de Jonge, Victor Dubuisson, Stephen Gallacher and Joost Luiten.
• The current field size is 97, the largest since 2011, when 99 competed.
• Of the 97 players, 53 are non-Americans. This total is the equal second highest. Matching the figure of 53 in 2011.
• There are 21 different countries represented. This is one outside the record for a single year, which was 22 in 2009.
• Of the 20 non- American countries, Australia and England have the most players with seven. Next come South Africa with six.
• Tom Watson is the oldest player competing, aged 64 years and 218 days. This will be the 2014 American Ryder Cup Captain’s 41 appearance at Augusta National.
• Joost Luiten will become the first Dutch professional to play in the event since Gerry De Wit in 1964, 50 years ago. De Wit, and now Luiten are the only two Dutch professionals to have competed in the Masters Tournament. De Witt played in 1962, 1963 and 1964.
• Fred Couples and Mark O’Meara, winners of the Green Jacket in 1992 and 1998 respectively, will both be making their 30th start this year. Couples first played in 1983 and O’Meara in 1980. The duo will become the 20th and 21st players in the history of the event to reach 30 appearances.
• Darren Clarke, the 2011 Open Champion will achieve a personal landmark as he will become the 25th different player to compete in 500 official European Tour events. He joins other Irishmen, Eamonn Darcy (610), Des Smyth (594) and Paul McGinley (547) in reaching 500.
• The 1994 and 1999 champion, José María Olazábal will competing in his 25th Masters Tournament as a professional. (He did play in the 1985 event as an amateur). Four-time Major winner, Ernie Els, will be teeing up for the 20th time this year. He first played in 1994.
• History will be created at the 2014 Masters Tournament when Craig and son Kevin Stadler play. They will become the 12th different father/son combination to play in Masters Tournament history. However, it will be the first time a father and son have played together in the same Masters. Craig, the winner in 1982 will be playing in Masters number 38, having first teed up in 1974, while Kevin is making his Augusta debut.
• There are 19 Masters Champions competing. Between them they have won a total of 25 Green Jackets.
• More Masters history will be created this year. The 2013 US and British Amateur Champions gain an exemption into the event. For the first time there will be two Englishmen playing under that category. They are: Matthew Fitzpatrick (US Amateur) and Garrick Porteous (British Amateur).
• It is the 25th anniversary of the first English win at Augusta, Sir Nick Faldo in 1989, beating Scott Hoch in a play-off. It was 15 years ago since José María’s Olazabal’s last triumph in 1999. This was the last victory at Augusta by a European.
|T1||CHOI, K J||KOR||-|