DID YOU KNOW - BMW MASTERS
• The BMW Masters will be the third BMW sponsored event on The European Tour International Schedule in 2014. This follows the BMW PGA Championship and BMW International Open.
• The quality of the field is highlighted by the fact there are four Major Champions, four winners of WGC events, three European Tour Number Ones, 22 of the 2014 European Tour winners and seven of Europe’s winning Ryder Cup Team. Of the 78 man field, 53 have tasted victory on The European Tour.
• The 2014 BMW Masters will mark the beginning of The Final Series. Following this event there will be the WGC – HSBC Champions, Turkish Airlines Open presented by the Ministry of Youth and Sport and DP World Tour Championship, Dubai.
• In 2012 the BMW Masters became the sixth different European Tour event to be sponsored by BMW.
• Defending champion Gonzalo Fernandez-Castaño will look to make the first successful defence of his career. Should he win again he would become the fourth different Spanish player to achieve this, following Seve Ballesteros, Miguel Angel Jiménez and Pablo Martin Benavides, to win the same event in back-to-back years.
• Should Gonzalo Fernandez-Castaňo win for a second successive season he would have won a European Tour event in each of the last four seasons. This would be the second time he would have done this. He won each year between 2005-2008.
• The Spaniard won in 2013 even with a double-bogey six at the 72nd hole to win by one shot. Strangely, the last two players to win European Tour events by dropping two shots on the final holes, have both been Spanish They were Fernandez-Castaňo in this event 12 months ago and Alejandro Caňizares, who took six at the last on Sunday at the 2014 Trophée Hassan II.
• The tournament is to be played at Lake Malaren Golf Club. The facility has two courses and the one being used is the Masters Course, designed by Jack icklaus and opened in 2011.
• This is the second of three European Tour events to be staged on Chinese soil on the 2014 Schedule. The other two are are the Volvo China Open and WGC – HSBC Champions.
• In 2012 the BMW Masters was the seventh different European Tour event to be played on Chinese soil. The other six are; Volvo China Open, WGC – HSBC Champions, UBS Hong Kong Open, BMW Asian Open, TCL Classic and Johnnie Walker Classic. (Also staged the World Cup on five occasions).