• The Maybank Malaysian Open became part of The European Tour International Schedule in 1999 and was the first co-sanctioned event between The European and Asian Tours. It was played at the Saujana Golf and Country Club and won by American Gerry Norquist.
• Arjun Atwal claimed the largest final round winning comeback on the 2008 European Tour International Schedule of seven shots. After 54 holes, the Indian was on 206 (-10) with overnight leader, Peter Hedblom on 199 (-17). Courtesy of a stunning final day 64, Atwal overcame the Swede in a play-off, to become only the second multiple winner of the event since it became part of The European Tour. The first player was Thongchai Jaidee in 2004-05.
• Sweden’s Peter Hedblom will aim to continue his wonderful recent form in the Maybank Malaysian Open. Hs claimed victory in 2007 – his first for 11 years and was second in 2008. He is a total of 26 under par for his last eight rounds in the tournament.
• Thongchai Jaidee, winner in 2004 and 2005 will be aiming for his third win in the event. Should he succeed, the Thai player would be only the second player in European Tour history to win the same event for their first three European Tour titles, following Tom Watson (1975, 77, 80 Open Championship).
• The 2008 Maybank Malaysian Open was the joint lowest 36 hole cut last season on 140 (-4). The event 12 months ago was staged at Kota Permai Golf and Country Club. The Italian Open was the other event on four under.
• Since 1999, five of the ten years have been won by players claiming their maiden European Tour International Schedule victory. They are: Gerry Norquist (1999), Yeh Wei-tze (2000), Alastair Forsyth (2002), Thongchai Jaidee (2004) and Charlie Wi (2006).
• Since 1999 players from eight different nations have won the event. They are: United States (Gerry Norquist 1999), Taiwan (Yeh Wei-tze 2000), Fiji (Vijay Singh 2001), Scotland (Alastair Forsyth 2002), India (Arjun Atwal 2003, 08) Thailand (Thongchai Jaidee 2004-05), Korea (Charlie Wi 2006) and Sweden (Peter Hedblom 2007).