SUNDAY OCTOBER 16, 2011 – PORTUGAL MASTERS
• Gains his first European Tour International Schedule victory in his fifth European Tour event.
• Moves to €441,018 in The Race to Dubai.
• This victory beats his previous best European Tour performance of tied tenth in the 2011 Austrian GolfOpen presented by Lyoness. Playing in just his third event as a professional. The other being the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship, where he finished 70th.
• Joined The European Tour as an Affiliate Member, with his first event as a professional being the 2011 Austrian GolfOpen presented by Lyoness.
• Became the first Affiliate Member to win on The European Tour since Matteo Manassero at the 2010 CASTELLÓ MASTERS Costa Azahar.
• Joins Alejandro Canizares (2006 Imperial Collection Russian Open) by winning in just his third event as an Affiliate Member. The quickest Affiliate Members to win are SSP Chowrasia (2008 EMAAR – MGF Indian Masters) and Rodney Pampling (2009 Sportsbet Australian Masters – Nov 2008)). Both of these players won on their debut as Affiliate Members.
• Playing on a sponsor’s invitation. Become the first sponsor’s invitation to win on The European Tour since Matteo Manassero at the 2010 CASTELLÓ MASTERS Costa Azahar.
• Become the ninth first-time winner of the 2011 season. The first-time winners are: Nick Watney (WGC – Cadillac Championship), Nicolas Colsaerts (Volvo China Open), Thomas Aiken (Open de España), Robert Rock (BMW Italian Open presented by CartaSi), Matthew Zions (SAINT OMER OPEN presented by Neuflize OBC), Keegan Bradley (US PGA Championship), Oliver Fisher (Czech Open), Lee Slattery (Bankia Madrid Masters) and Tom Lewis (Portugal Masters).
The second consecutive first-time winner, following Lee Slattery (Bankia Madrid Masters)
• His four shot final round winning comeback equals the biggest of the 2011 season.
• His final 54 hole total of 197 (-19) equals the lowest of the 2011 season.
• Became the 270th English victory on The European Tour.
• Became the 85th different Englishman to win on The European Tour.
• Became the 396th different player to win on The European Tour.
• The 14th English victory of the 2011 season. They are: Paul Casey (Volvo Golf Champions), Luke Donald (WGC – Accenture Match Play Championship, BMW PGA Championship and Barclays Scottish Open), David Horsey (Trophée Hassan II), Lee Westwood (Ballantine’s Championship), Ian Poulter (Volvo World Match Play Championship), Robert Rock (BMW Italian Open presented by CartaSi), Simon Dyson (Irish Open presented by Discover Ireland and KLM Open), Oliver Fisher (Czech Open), Kenneth Ferrie (Austrian GolfOpen presented by Lyoness), Lee Slattery (Bankia Madrid Masters) and Tom Lewis (Portugal Masters).
• The youngest winner of the Portugal Masters, aged 20 years and 284 days.
• The 12th Affiliate Member to win in European Tour history.
• The 25th different sponsor’s invitation to win on The European Tour.
• Became the first player to make the Portugal Masters their first European Tour title.
• Became the third English winner of the Portugal Masters, following Steve Webster (2007) and Lee Westwood (2009).
• Gained his largest European Tour prize of €416,660.
• Gained a European Tour exemption until the end of 2013.
• Gained an exemption into the 2011 WGC – HSBC Champions and 2012 WGC – Bridgestone Invitational.
• Gained his first professional victory.