WITH THIS WIN
SUNDAY MAY 22, 2011 - MADEIRA ISLANDS OPEN
- His second European Tour International Schedule victory in his 127th European Tour event.
- Moves to €189,460 in The Race to Dubai.
- First win since the 2009 Estoril Open de Portugal.
- Both of his wins have now come on Portuguese soil.
- His best finish since his 2009 victory was tied sixth in the 2010 Madeira Islands Open. Indeed, he has finished sixth in this event in both 2009 and 2010.
- This victory beats his previous best 2011 performance of tied 15th in the Omega Dubai Desert Classic.
- Second consecutive week that a Northern Irishman has won on The European Tour, following Darren Clarke at the Iberdrola Open.
- European Tour history was made with Michael Hoey's victory. With Darren Clarke winning seven days ago, it represents the first time two different players from Northern Ireland have won in consecutive weeks.
- These latest two wins by Darren Clarke and Michael Hoey mean it is the first time since 2009 that two different players from Northern Ireland have won in the same European Tour season. In 2009 Rory McIlroy (Dubai Desert Classic) and Michael Hoey won the Estoril Open de Portugal.
- The 39th Northern Irish win in European Tour history.
- His fifth win as a professional.
- Gains a one year European Tour exemption until the end of 2012.