• His winning total of 264 beats the previous lowest winning total in The Open Championship by three shots. Greg Norman shot 267 to win in 1993.
• His 72 hole total of 264 creates Major Championship history by becoming the lowest winning total, beating the total of 265 by David Toms in winning the 2001 US PGA Championship.
• His winning total in relation to par of 20 under is the lowest in the history of The Open Championship, beating the previous best by Tiger Woods of 19 under in 2000.
• His 63 in the final round was the lowest final round to win The Open Championship. The previous best was 64 by Greg Norman in 1993
• His final round of 63 saw him join Johnny Miller (1973 U.S. Open Championship), as the only two players to shoot 63 in the final round of a Major and win.
• Became the 27th different player to shoot 63 in a Major Championship and 29th time overall 63 has been recorded in a Major.
• His winning total in relation to par of 20 under equals the lowest in Major Championship history, set by Jason Day at the 2015 US PGA Championship.
• Becomes the first Swede to win a Major
• Becomes the sixth player from Continental Europe to win a Major Championship.
• Becomes the second European Tour Member this season to win a Major Championship, following Danny Willett (Masters Tournament).
• His final round of 63 matched the lowest final round by a winner and in relation to par on the 2016 European Tour.
• The 51st Major Championship victory by a European Tour Member since 1979.
• Becomes the 25th different European Tour Member to win a Major Championship since 1979.
• Aged 40 years and 103 days becomes the oldest first-time Major Champion since Darren Clarke won the 2011 Open Championship, aged 42 years and 337 days
• Becomes the second former Challenge Tour player to win The Open Championship, following Louis Oosthuizen in 2010.
|3||HOLMES, J B||USA||18||-6|