News All Articles
Marco Penge’s ‘amazing season’ to win 2025 Seve Ballesteros Award serves as inspiration
News

Marco Penge’s ‘amazing season’ to win 2025 Seve Ballesteros Award serves as inspiration

From saving his DP World Tour card to chasing down Rory McIlroy, it was a season to remember for newly crowned Seve Ballesteros Award winner Marco Penge – with his achievements serving as an inspiration.

On Tuesday, Penge was announced as the Player of the Year for 2025 after a brilliant campaign that saw him win three DP World Tour titles and finish second to McIlroy on the Race to Dubai Rankings Delivered by DP World.

As the leading player of the ten who secured dual membership on the PGA TOUR for the 2026 season, the Englishman is this week set to compete at the Genesis Invitational – his second consecutive Signature Event stateside.

But for several of his peers who voted for him to receive the award teeing it up this week the Magical Kenya Open presented by absa, Penge’s rise to wider prominence only fuels hope and motivation for what they can achieve after he just retained his card for the 2025 season at the final counting event in 2024.

Speaking to the DP World Tour, Ewen Ferguson said: “It was unbelievable and inspirational for all his friends out here that are trying to do the same this year on the DP World Tour.

“It just goes to show what you can do out here. From the HotelPlanner Tour to DP World Tour and PGA TOUR, it’s right out there in front of you if you want it.”

An enforced absence from the game due to a breach of DP World Tour regulations could have derailed his ambitions, but Penge never looked back after returning to action at last year’s Magical Kenya Open with a top 20.

In just his second full season on the DP World Tour, the 27-year-old won his maiden victory at the Hainan Classic in April, followed by the Danish Golf Championship title in August, before claiming the title at Open de España presented by Madrid in October – a victory which secured his place in both The Masters and The Open in 2026.

“Amazing season and very much deserved," said Connor Syme, a winner too on last season's Race to Dubai.

"You think back to him making an up and down to keep his card [at the 2024 Genesis Championship] just a matter of months before last season and then from there obviously he has kicked on so much now, playing on the PGA TOUR.

"It is very inspiring, very cool to see."

Voted for by his peers, Penge is adjusting to a new chapter in his career as a dual member with the 2023 HotelPlanner Tour Road to Mallorca winner set for his fourth PGA TOUR start in as many weeks as the famed Riviera Country Club in California.

DP World Tour winner Matt Baldwin and 2025 Qualifying School graduate is in no doubt that his good friend can replicate his success over on the PGA TOUR.

"He won three times, got into the top 30 in the world – absolutely fantastic," he said.

"For me, it was only a matter of time. I think he is one of the best talents us as the DP World Tour have.

"There is not a part of his game that he suffers with so I think it will continue. The best thing about it is he is a great lad with it so long may it continue."

Read next