Min Woo Lee will tee it up on home soil at the Fortinet Australian PGA Championship as the 2024 DP World Tour season gets under way at Royal Queensland Golf Club from November 23-26.
The 24-year-old, who has finished in the top five in each of the past two editions, is a firm fans’ favourite and his stature continues to grow within the golf world.
After registering a tie for second at the first Rolex Series event of the year in Abu Dhabi, Lee enjoyed a thrilling debut at THE PLAYERS Championship in March as he finished in a tie for sixth at TPC Sawgrass on the PGA TOUR.
"Hopefully I can top the top five [later this year]," he said. "It is an awesome event, I love playing in front of an Australian crowd. Being in Australia is what you want at the end of the year.
"I really enjoy being in Australia and having that support. The last couple of years have been awesome."
PGA of Australia CEO, Gavin Kirkman, said: “Given his schedule across both the PGA TOUR and DP World Tour, having Min Woo commit to the tournament so far in advance is a tremendous coup for the Fortinet Australian PGA Championship.
“Since bursting onto the scene as a teenager in Perth a few years ago, Min Woo has been on a steady progression to the point where he is now one of the best players in the world.
“He played brilliantly to win the Vic Open in 2020 but I am sure he would love to get his hands on the Joe Kirkwood Cup at Royal Queensland in November.”
A key pillar of the ISPS HANDA PGA Tour of Australasia season, one of the major drawcards to Royal Queensland for the past two Fortinet Australian PGA Championships has been the par-three 17th ‘Party Hole’.
An Adam Scott birdie on Friday last time out sent fans into a frenzy, further solidifying the event as a must-see sporting experience.
Ben Cowen, DP World Tour Chief Tournament Business Officer, said: “We are delighted to return to Brisbane this November for the Fortinet Australian PGA Championship at Royal Queensland Golf Club.
“Our strategic alliance with the ISPS HANDA PGA Tour of Australasia underlines our joint commitment to providing playing opportunities for both memberships, as well as a formalised pathway for players to compete on the biggest stage, and we thank the Queensland Government for their support in helping us deliver a world-class sporting event.
“These playing opportunities continue to come to fruition with this year’s Order of Merit winner David Micheluzzi, as well as Tom Power Horan and Andrew Martin who finished second and third respectfully, exempt with full cards on the DP World Tour for the 2024 season.”
Queensland Tourism and Sport Minister Stirling Hinchliffe said: “It’s terrific that Australia’s oldest professional golf tournament is back at the iconic Royal Queensland course again in 2023.
“The PGA has assembled another cracking field this year, which should ensure big galleries are out enjoying the golf and Queensland’s great lifestyle.
“This year’s event is expected to attract around 6 thousand visitors to Queensland, injecting some $15 million into the local economy.”