Nathan Kimsey tied the course record on the New on his way to topping U.S. Open Final Qualifying at Walton Heath as seven players secured their spot for the third men’s Major Championship of the year.
The Englishman, who opened with a four under 68 on the Old Course, fired six birdies and two eagles during his bogey-free final round on the New Course to reach 14 under par after 36 holes. The 33-year-old will now make his U.S. Open debut at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club from June 18-21.
“I’m obviously over the moon,” said Kimsey. “You come to these qualifier events, and you have to play some good golf on one day. A lot of the time you end up walking away disappointed but it’s great to play great golf and grab a spot at the U.S. Open.
“It was soft out there and you could see from the scoring that it was quite low. I played alright in the morning around the Old Course, which was tougher. I knew I was in a decent spot where I could go a bit lower in the second round, but I was happy to hole a few putts and make some birdies.
“It will be great to get out there for my first U.S. Open. I had a chance to play there a few years ago but that got rained off so it will be great to get back out to Long Island to experience that. I had a taste of a Major for the first time at The Open last year so it will be great to see what the U.S. Open is and how that whole tournament comes together.”
Rocco Repetto Taylor, playing Final Qualifying at Walton Heath for the first time, backed up his opening 66 with another six under par round to finish in solo second on 12 under par. The Spaniard, who earned promotion from the HotelPlanner Tour last year, will make his first Major Championship appearance on Long Island.
“I still can’t believe it,” he said. “It was cool to play this golf course for the first time and I really liked it. I’m so excited, it’s what we practice and play for every day, to play in Majors, so hopefully I’ll be able to compete.
“This is one of the highlights of my career. Having my girlfriend as caddy too, it was so special to have her out there. She was so calm coming down the stretch and good at keeping my mind off things.
“I’m going to play all the DP World Tour events in the run-up to the U.S. Open so I’m going to dial in my irons, work on my wedges around the greens and I’ll be ready.”
Matthew Jordan, who finished as the first alternate at last year’s U.S. Open Final Qualifying and received a late call-up at Oakmont Country Club, signed for an eight under par closing round on the Old Course to finish at 11 under to seal his spot at Shinnecock. The Englishman was joined on the same number by Dane Niklas Nørgaard, who will make his second U.S. Open appearance.
Jordan and Nørgaard were joined on 11 under by Filippo Celli of Italy and Spaniard Ángel Hidalgo, who will both make U.S. Open debuts at Shinnecock next month.
Extra holes were eventually required to decide the one remaining place and two alternate spots. Four competitors finished on ten under par, with Frenchman Ugo Coussaud earning the final spot after two extra holes, while Hennie de Plessis and Andrew Wilson claimed the alternate spots.